Header

Header

Saturday, October 14, 2017

DIY Felt Toddler Busy Bag Crafts


"Busy Bags" are so hot right now! There are endless Pins on Pinterest and numerous videos on YouTube detailing how easy and cheap it is to make yourself some "Busy Bags". Every mom should have "Busy Bags" in her arsenal of mommy hacks. They're meant to keep your kids busy and most of the time, quiet. You use them anywhere: grocery store, doctor's office, Pharmacy, DMV, airplane, road trip, anywhere that you need your little one to be occupied these are supposed to work like a charm. When my mom visited after our youngest was born she brought an entire small suitcase filled with items to make about 15 different "Busy Bags" for my oldest. There are some he liked and some he didn't but we still use them to this day on and off. He can entertain himself with a car and a coloring book with color crayons now. He's pretty easy, it's our youngest that goes through everything super fast, nothing really holds his attention longer than 5 minutes. Our youngest will be 2 in about a week and a half and we are embarking on a 6 plus hour flight to California from Tennessee at the end of November of this year to go see family and go to Disneyland. I am flying with a 5 year old and a 2 year old all by myself... I think I have gone crazy! So I have been looking at videos and pins to find different ideas for what to take with us and decided to post a few blogs about the different "Busy Bags" I will be taking with me on the plane and use while we are there visiting family. 

Project #1: This felt project you take those weird crazy straws we all loved in the 90s, take some felt & cut up some squares or rectangles..whatever shape, fold over and make a little slit in the middle. That's it! They're supposed to thread the felt on the straws, that helps with dexterity and motor skills and it's supposed to keep them entertained for hours. My five-year-old wanted to do it; he wanted to match the colors with the colored straws.






Project #2: I took an ordinary $0.98 pill box, the felt I had already purchased and a dollar bag of colored pom poms. I cut some felt out per color of pom-pom, glued it on top of the pill box lid to cover up the days of the week and separated out the colored pom poms into their designated box. Simple for him to learn how to match colors and he loves running around with it. Of course he tried to eat the pom-poms at first! I had to tell him that they weren't food and after he figured that out he has so much fun! I dumped it out and he puts the colors in the boxes, I have to help him by putting one pom pom per color and then he follows.


Two great and inexpensive "Busy Bag" ideas! The straws were a dollar, the pencil pouches were a dollar each, the felt was $0.23 per sheet (I got 7 of them) and the pom-poms were $0.98... so for $6, because you have to factor in taxes, I have two "Busy Bags" complete! It took maybe 30 minutes to cut all the felt, glue and separate. There's also another one where you cut bigger pieces of felt and sew a button on some ribbon - it's called feed the snake that you just put the felt on the ribbon. I haven't found the right ribbon yet and don't know if I'll do that but it's a good idea. I think the straws might just be enough, for right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment