Header

Header

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

DIY Lego Tray

My oldest is OBSESSED with Legos! He has so many and they were all over his room (we told him they had to stay in his room because they were getting everywhere in our house) and all over his floor!
So for his 7th birthday I decided to get creative: I love going to Antique stores with my parents and they always have handmade "Lego Trays" but they are always over $20 at the very least. There had to be a cheaper, better way for me to get this gift of my son. So we went to our local Goodwill and luckily they had an array trays there! I found a breakfast-in-bed type of tray where there were legs that extended and it was clean-ish and functioning. Bonus was the price: $3!


So then we went to our local Walmart and bought 2 Lego base plates for about $8 each. Now if you are adding up the numbers, yes it was over the $20 I didn't want to spend at an Antique store but those trays didn't stand up like this one does so I was willing to pay a little more for it.
So after cleaning the tray with multi-surface Windex, I followed the directions to use Gorilla Glue for the Lego bases.
And then used Lego pieces to make sure the bases were together the right way because putting them side by side would have left it impossible to build in the middle where they meet. There was a very small amount of space in between needed to make it smooth and build-able. Then I placed 2 huge glasses on top and allowed it to dry for 24 hours! 

Now our son has a Lego Tray of his own that he can keep his current project on and free from the cats, his little brother and the evil vacuum that loves eating Legos. 

Happy Mommy-ing!


No comments:

Post a Comment